Are you hiring the right people for your company? You may be able to tell just in the way they help meet your company goals. However, when it comes to hiring, there's another factor to take into consideration aside from just the individual's ability to meet sales goals. You also have to consider whether the move could impact your workers compensation costs.
Perhaps you have a training program and safety procedures. These are good steps in reducing workers compensation costs. However, if you look more closely at the people you hire, you may find additional ways to reduce some key risks.
- Don't make a rush decision in who you hire. Just because you need people right now doesn't mean you should hire everyone that walks in the door. Take the time to find the right employees, even if times become desperate.
- Conduct thorough background screenings on everyone you bring in. This can provide you with information on risks associated with theft or fraud. You don't want to violate your state's laws, though. Verify what you can and cannot make hiring decisions based on by talking to an employment attorney.
- Don't hire someone who lacks key skills. Oftentimes, businesses hire with the hope to train, especially when they are shorthanded. However, if the person does not have the competency in a high-risk situation, they should not be put in those positions.
- Focus on experience whenever possible. Learn as much as possible about the individual's experience performing the tasks you need him or her to perform. Those who are experienced are less of a safety risk.
- Screen individuals after training and before bringing them on the floor to make sure they understand safety protocols.
The people you hire impact your company's success in many ways. Worcester workers compensation insurance claims can cause your overall business insurance costs to rise. If you can hire people more likely to be safe on the job, you may be able to reduce some of these costs. Focus on creating a safe workplace with people who are also committed to remaining safe on the job.
We’ve got you covered. Call Knight-Dik Insurance Agency at 508-753-6353 for more information on workers compensation insurance.